Golf in the Strathaven area can be traced to when a Club was inaugurated in April 1897 when a golf course out with the village was opened.
The new course was situated at Brownmuir Farm adjacent to Glassford Station (on the Hamilton to Strathaven North railway line) about three miles from the town.
The first venture did not succeed and existed for no longer than four or five years. The reason for its demise seems to have been because of its distance from the town.
In 1907 when ground at West Overton Farm on the northern edge of the town was offered on Lease for a golf course, steps were immediately taken to sound out public opinion and seek support for the formation of a Club.
The initial 9 hole course “as laid out by Mr. William Fernie of Troon” (the Open Champion in 1883 and a noted golf course designer) and was opened for play.
The official opening of the course took place on Saturday 13th June 1908.
An additional nine holes were added making an eighteen hole parkland course that opened for play to members and visitors on the 13th March 1965.
The present modern clubhouse was opened in May 1999 a facility that supports the excellent course.
The club has around a 1000 members including, juniors, ladies seniors and gents sections. Strathaven has a thriving competition ethos in all groups as well as supporting social, fun and visitors golf.
The clubhouse supplies hospitality and catering to a high quality and can be used alongside and in support of the game of golf.
We have an excellent professional in Stuart Kerr who serves the members, visitors and the public in both coaching and in the sale of equipment and attire.